According to the Special Weather Bulletin-5 of Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD), it is stated that a low depression has been formed over the southeast Bay of Bengal and adjoining area has formed a cyclone storm “Mocha”. It further intensified and will move north-northwestwards till tomorrow. It may make landfall in Cox’s Bazar and Myanmar coasts on Sunday, the Met Office has said
Maritime ports of Chattogram, Cox’s Bazar, Monga and Payray have been advised to lower distant cautionary signal no. one instead hoist distant warning signal no. Two (R) Two. All fishing boats and trawllers over the north Bay of Bengal and deep sea have been advised to remain close to the coast and proceed with caution. They are also advised not to venture into the deep sea.
COAST Preparation for Response:
- There was a preparatory virtual meeting in this morning (11 May 2023) through the participation of senior colleagues from Principal Office, Dhaka, COAST Cox’s Bazar Centre, Cox’s Bazar, Ukhiya Relief and Operation Centre (UROC), Ukhiya and all Branch Managers of Cox’s Bazar Micro Finance Region. The meeting was moderated by the Executive Director of COAST Foundation.
- A senior team has already been posted in Cox’s Bazar and other field staff have been made alert and staying all time in mobile net connection.
- Coordination with the government officials has been established and COAST is involved for the cleaning of Cyclone Shelters and make them feasible for persons with disabilities, old age people, pregnant women, and children.
- The micro finance branches of possible affected areas have been made available the cash money so that after cyclone hits, the response can be started.
- The Director-Core Program (Tarik Sayed Harun) has been designated for coordinating the situation, response and making communication with relevant staff and sectors.
- The Radio Saikat (FM 99.0, www.radiosaikat.net), Cox’s Bazar is standby for 24-hour broadcasting to inform the people about the direction of the cyclone and its intensification.
- The communication points have been designated
For Central Response Team:
|Md. Shahinur Islam
|Senior Coordinator-Community Radio
|Tarik Sayed Harun
- For Dhaka:
|Mustafa Kamal Akand
|Director-Admin. & SR
|Ferdous Ara Rumee
|Sanat Kumar Bhowmik
|Deputy Executive Director
|M Rezaul Karim Chowdhury
- For COAST Cox’s Bazar Centre:
|Tanjir Uddin Roni
|Program Officer-ISC Project
|Regional Team Leader, Cox’s Bazar
- For Radio Saikat:
|Anika Tasnim Taposhi
|Gulfan Ara Hury
- For Ukhiya Relief and Operation Centre (UROC), Ukhiya:
Child Protection Project
|Jasim Uddin Molla
- For Teknaf Microfinance Branch, Teknaf:
|Branch Manager- Teknaf Branch, Cox’s Bazar